Soup Of The Weekend Is: Tomato Basil Parmesan

I got this recipe off of Pintrest last week.  And I am so glad I did!! I made a little change by omitting 1 cup of finely diced celery and 1 cup of finely diced carrots.  I left those out since I am not able to have those.  If you choose to add it to your soup, add it with the first step.  It made exactly 12 cups so I portioned them out into 1 cup increments and put into freezer/microwaveable glad ware.  It'll be so nice on a busy day to just pull one out of the freezer and pop in the microwave.  There won't be any worrying about what I can eat in a pinch :)  Here are the nutrition facts for this:



Nutrition Facts 

Serving Size: 1 cup (yields 12 cups)

Amount per Serving 

Calories 161

Calories from Fat 80.6
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 8.96g
13%
Saturated Fat 3.59g
17%
Cholesterol 4mg
1%
Sodium 1013.87mg
42%
Total Carbohydrate 12g
3%
Dietary Fiber 1.43g
5%
Sugars 5.57g
Protein 7.3g
14%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calories needs.

2 (14 oz) cans diced tomato's, with juice (I used the Hunts 100% natural with oregano and basil with it)
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano or 1 tbsp fresh oregano
1 tbsp dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh basil
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 bay leaf
1/2 cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup butter (I used I can't believe it's not butter)
2 cups half and half, warmed (or skim milk (which is what I used) if you're trying to cut some calories)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

1.  Add tomato's, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and  bay leaf to a large slow cooker
2.  Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.
3.  About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux.  Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour.  Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup.  Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth.  Add all back into the slow cooker.  Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed milk, salt , and pepper.  Add addition basil and oregano if needed (the slow cooker does a number on spices and they get bland over time, so don't be afraid to always season to taste at the end).
4.  Cover and cook on low for another 3 minutes or so until ready to serve.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did! 

Post a Comment

Designed by FlexyCreatives